A Treasured Past

From the time it opened at the dawn of 1926 to its current incarnation as one of St. Petersburg’s most spectacular waterfront resorts, The Vinoy has been – and always will be – a place to relax, play, and indulge.

Vinoy History

Pink. Proud. Perfectly preserved. Celebrating almost 100 years of sun-drenched hospitality, the resort looks back, reminisces and forges forward in its never-ending quest to deliver thoughtfully curated and inspiring experiences.

Conception: The Beginning

In 1923, it all started with a party, a bet, and a game of golf at the St. Petersburg Beach Drive home of Aymer Vinoy Laughner, a wealthy Pennsylvania businessman.

Laughner acquired the land for $170,000. Led by architect Henry L. Taylor and contractor George A. Miller, construction for The Vinoy Park Hotel began on February 5, 1925. The contractor set a construction record for completing the 375-room hotel in just under 10 months, in time for a grand opening on New Year’s Eve 1925.

The water at The Vinoy

Well Noted

In 1978, The Vinoy was named to the National Register of Historic Places, despite being closed and stripped bare of its furnishings and other architectural details.

Revival of the Fittest

The Vinoy reflects the architectural influences of the Mediterranean coast, capturing its essence down to every detail. Over the years, The Vinoy’s incomparable facilities have stood the test of time.

The original 1925 color named “Vinoy” was created by the Gutta Percha Paint Company exclusively for the hotel.

Sign Up for Exclusive Offers